- You are here
- Parent Zone
- Uniform and Equipment
Uniform and Equipment
By requiring students to wear the Academy uniform, it is intended to develop their sense of loyalty to the community of which they are members and to encourage them to take a pride in their appearance.
Students are expected to wear full Academy uniform on the way to and from the Academy. If students look outstanding they will feel outstanding.
HOW TO ORDER
Students are expected to be of smart and sensible appearance. Individual fashion statements such as extreme hair styles or colours, designer shirts, trainers, ‘Vans’ or decorated footwear are not permitted. Hair should be of a single colour and resemble the student’s natural hair colour.
Shoes must have black laces and NO coloured stitching. No decorative attachments are to be worn in the hair. Hair bands must be plain black or white with a maximum of 50mm width. ‘Tram lines’ or other shaved shapes in the hair and ‘bar codes’ in eyebrows are not permitted. Make-up, nail varnish or nail extensions must not be worn at any time. Tinted or cosmetic contact lenses and decorative dental wear are not permitted. No bandannas, hoods, caps or hats are allowed in the building.
No jewellery is permitted, except for one wrist watch and a maximum of one plain (no stones) stud earring in each ear. Nose studs and other forms of body piercing are not permitted. No accessories are to be worn around the neck or attached to clothing.
Large amounts of money and expensive personal effects should not be brought to the Academy. Harris Academy Upper Norwood will not accept liability for any claim arising from theft, accidental loss or damage to personal effects, money, belongings or clothing whilst on the Academy premises.
Electronic items such as personal stereos, mobile telephones, pagers and computer games MUST NOT be brought to the Academy. Jewellery and other forbidden items will be confiscated and only returned at the end of term after the Academy End of Term Assembly. Money should be kept in purses or in money belts. No other money pouches will
- Blazer: Regulation Harris Academy Upper Norwood Blue Blazer, logo and trimmings.
- Pullover Blue v-neck with logo. (Optional): No other jumpers, cardigans, sweatshirts or waistcoats are permitted.
- Skirt/Trousers Grey, classic style: Skirts should be of a sensible pleated length (knee or calf length) and of traditional skirt material. No side slits permitted. No jeans, washed grey, navy blue, corduroy, jean like material, high fashion trousers/leggings (no studs or trimmings) or shorts.
- Shirt - Plain white school shirt (no fitted blouses): Tucked in and buttoned/fastened at the neck. Any polo neck/‘T’ shirt or underwear worn underneath should not show or be visible through the shirt.
- Socks - Plain black/white socks: To be worn below the knees.
- Tights - Plain natural/black: No footless, patterned or fishnet tights or leggings.
- Shoes - Plain black shoes: No trainers, ankle boots, knee-length boots, fabric shoes or shoes with open toes or open heels. No trimmings i.e. buckles, labels, tags or decorations. Laces and stitching must be black. Black shoes should be worn on the way to and from the Academy. Students will not be allowed to attend lessons if trainers are worn to the Academy.
- Hijab- Plain Black or Navy
- Coat - Plain black outdoor coat: No denim. No logos. Cardigans, jumpers, sweatshirts, tracksuit tops, waistcoats, hooded tops are not to be worn as coats.
- D&T/Art-: Navy Apron (Available from Bubble Gum).
- PE Kit: Shorts - Plain Black (No large logos, trimmings or cycling shorts)
- Skirt: Black PE type
- PE Shirt: White with Academy logo
- Tracksuit (Optional): Blue with Academy logo
- Socks: White sport socks.
- Training shoes: Laced training shoes must be brought to every PE lesson. Non marking soled trainers only.
If students are not in full uniform they will not be able to attend lessons. They will work in isolation until the correct uniform is brought to them or they will be sent home to change. All items of uniform should be clearly marked or labelled.
Footwear - Please click the link below for further imagery of what footweat is NOT permitted. Velcro is not permitted:
Students must ensure that they are properly equipped for the academy each day. We expect every student to have a suitable bag which will enable them to transport books, A4 files and other equipment forwards and backwards on a daily basis. Your daughter may want to carry glue but should never carry scissors around. Tipp-Ex is not allowed.
All students will receive a student planner which they are expected to have on them all the time. During lessons this should be placed on the desk. All homework must be recorded in their planner and it is an important part of their uniform.
EQUIPMENT FOR EVERY LESSON
- Full size plain black (no logo) school bag suitable for A4 size books
- Pencil case
- Pens (black or blue)
- Pencil (sharpener and eraser)
- Coloured pencils or felt pens
- 30cm ruler
- Scientific Calculator
- Geometry set for Mathematics
- Student Planner